Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I find Henry Gould's recent exploration into his own work intriguing and useful. a peek at process. and as he said, no one else is doing that job (someone other than Henry has to tell the world that it's okay to take his work seriously), so he might as well get crackin'. Olson particularly wrote and spoke of Maximus in progress, he had Butterick and others who got the concept or wanted to, and so did a lot of digging. Henry's work deserves to be considered in that group of writers he cites. why not? it comprises something large. the matter of whether the long serial poem is a male domain I don't feel competent to speak to, tho a mention of Drafts by Rachel Blau Duplessis should be made. everyone writes just one big ass poem, that there oeuvre, but there is something tempting about entering into an open ended process. I've put myself into long projects, but they work towards an end, even if that end isn't envisioned. I'm only scraping around in the garden Henry's making, so far, but I like what I see.

No comments: