Wednesday, September 15, 2004

my reading, my reading. I'm so scattered. was reading of the Pali canon (Buddha's supposedly fairly direct words) yesterday. Access to Insight supplies you with a mass of the Pali canon online, if that is of your interest. I've been reading Dream Songs. which is a master work of sorts. the equivocation centres on how creepy Berryman is, and how suicidally depressive. yet the heroic note isn't faked up, as confessioned poetry often is. I mean, beyond his human shittiness there's a person trying to maintain integrity. unfortunate, I suppose, that biography precedes the poetry, in my reading, at least. as with Sexton, knowing the denouement of the poet's life tints the poetry in ways that probably do it injustice. reading (yes Henry) sporadically at Stubborn Grew by Handsome Henry Gould (Spuyten Duyvil 2000). I believe he has spoken of the influence of both Dream Songs and The Bridge, and I see it. Crane both excites and disappoints me. experiment and formality collide with Crane, not always with successful results. his formality seems like a safeness that he runs to. I've been meaning to put my nose into The Bridge lately. good luck on that vow. anyway, with SG, Henry works within a formal structure. he writes in quatrains. I see a chain of poems, rather than sections. I think the poems stand on their own. which, in fact, were anyone to look at my long works (like Digital Cellular Phone, a couple clicks away), would find that I proceed similarly. altho there may be room in Henry's procedure to interleave poems out of chronbology, whereas it would be unlikely (not impossible) for me to do that. I haven't read much of the book and haven't the energy to offer more than superficial 'insights' (honestly I haven't any insights, sorry folks). despite the apparent and actual formality of his method, Henry has lots of room to muck about. I wish I had more time to read him well. I used to manage hours of reading a day often enough but now such simply doesn't fit my day. thus I jump from one thing to another. also been reading The Anti-Federalist Papers. I suppose that's the publishers title, to go as compantion with The Federalist Papers, which I read a year ago. I still have books by HD coming from the library, plus WEB DuBois.

No comments: