Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Peach Butter in the Age of Trump

Enterprise! Two loaves of peach bread in dough chrysalis are baking. An excess of bread dough that I refrigerated is now rising to the occasion (sic). Several pounds of peaches have been processed and remain chill in the freezer. I mention this for the usual Facebark reason: look at me!

The exercise holds something more, however. In the recent and much-bruited interview that the president gave, he answered a question with five grey words: It is what it is. In reference to the pandemic. Translation: I got nothing. We are in trouble.

My spidey sense tells me that we all will need a higher level of self-sufficiency. The supply chain is rattled. You may (and anyway should) become more active in the education of your children. The things you depend on, whether it is NFL games, vaccines, or Heineken 12-packs, may not be readily forthcoming. Not to say peach bread will save us but an attitude of make rather than take might be beneficial.

I don’t mean to sound gloomy. Both Beth and I felt invigorated by the process of dealing with our largesse of peaches. It was not just making peach bread and peach butter but getting a freezer and where to put it and how to freeze peaches and when to do this. Peach butter is the happy by product of our endeavor. Well-placed endeavor and kindliness will be key as we process the mess that we face.

No comments: