Thanks to Ben Friedlander for originating this meme, one that I consented to participate in.
Facebook meme from the nineteenth century, by way of Sidney Lanier
(best known for The Boy's King Arthur), who was tagged in the winter of
1874 by a Miss Anne Perot of Baltimore, Maryland. For Lanier's answers
If you've always wanted to be daguerreotyped and are willing to settle
for mental version, consider copying this text, writing your own
responses, and tagging 15 other people, including me (because I want to
see what you wrote!).
To do this, go to "notes" under tabs on your profile page, paste these
instructions in the body of the note, type your title as "A Mental
Photograph," tag 15 people (14 + me; tagging is done in the right hand
corner of the app) then click publish.
1. YOUR FAVORITE COLOR?
No longer purple but the saner green. OR the palette of Gauguin, wowzer.
Daffodil, daffodil, daffodil
Apple, willow, oak
4. OBJECT IN NATURE?
5. HOUR IN THE DAY?
Dawn, or, by the clock, 5am
6. SEASON OF THE YEAR?
Fall, season of mist and mellow fruitfulness, incorporated
The patois of hyacinth. Nothing commercial comes to mind
No preferences. I like mica, and am willing to call it a gem
9. STYLE OF BEAUTY?
The inexpensive kind (I do not know what Sid asks here)
10. NAMES, MALE AND FEMALE?
Those biblical/colonial names sound nice (Jedediah, for instance). Zoe for females.
Elvin Jones, Richard Thompson, various etc.
13. PIECE OF SCULPTURE?
A wood carving Gauguin. Did not intend to harp on his name.
Charles Olson, John Keats, Ted Berrigan, moi-meme (I like to read my (good) work, like someone else wrote it)
Emily Dickinson, Gertrude Stein, Susan Howe, high sign to Nada Gordon
16. PROSE AUTHORS?
Guy Davenport, Flann O’Brien
17. CHARACTER IN ROMANCE?
I suppose someone like Gawain, who I do like, is who they mean
18. CHARACTER IN HISTORY?
US Grant, A Lincoln, Rosa Parks, list could go on
19. BOOK TO TAKE UP FOR AN HOUR?
Anything by Robert Benchley or Bob & Ray. Formerly, P G Wodehouse, but he was a Nazi collaborator, and that casts a pall
20. WHAT BOOK (NOT RELIGIOUS) WOULD YOU PART WITH LAST?
21. WHAT EPOCH WOULD YOU CHOOSE TO HAVE LIVED IN?
The one with the poets
22. WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO LIVE?
23. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE AMUSEMENT?
24. WHAT IS YR. FAVORITE OCCUPATION?
25. WHAT TRAIT OF CHARACTER DO YOU MOST ADMIRE IN MAN?
The same ones I admire in women
26. WHAT TRAIT DO YOU MOST ADMIRE IN WOMAN?
The same ones I admire in men
27. WHAT TRAITS OF CHARACTER DO YOU MOST DETEST IN EACH?
Bobby Rydell (arcane answer)
28. IF NOT YOURSELF WHO WD. YOU RATHER BE?
Does not compute
29. WHAT IS YR. IDEA OF HAPPINESS?
Music in colour with hand in hand
30. WHAT IS YR. IDEA OF MISERY?
The belligerent social crunch
31. WHAT IS YOUR BÊTE NOIR?
32. WHAT IS YOUR DREAM?
To live by water
33. WHAT IS YR. FAVORITE GAME?
The only game that I play is Free Cell
34. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE TO BE YOUR DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTIC?
A mild form of integrity
35. IF MARRIED, WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE TO BE THE DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS OF YR. BETTER HALF?
Empathy, helping others
36. WHAT IS THE SUBLIMEST PASSION OF WHICH HUMAN NATURE IS CAPABLE?
Gosh you talk pretty
37. WHAT ARE THE SWEETEST WORDS IN THE WORLD?
Tickle salty boss anchovy (Walt Kelly)
38. WHAT ARE THE SADDEST WORDS?
Je ne sais pas
39. WHAT IS YOUR AIM IN LIFE?
To write words from here to there
40. WHAT IS YOUR MOTTO.
Someday I will have one