Sunday, May 09, 2004

our son, who hit the big one five on tuesday, takes a different route with the revolution. music is a political stand for teenagers, but it is usually new aggravating music that they choose. our son does diff, to wit: he is into disco. bopping to his different drummer, how to grieve that? because he's homeschooled, he has a different grasp of pop culture, not having the imperatives of school force fed him. disco is consistent with his taste, for he likes the sort of hypnotic repetition that disco has. I stopped listening to pop music in the 70s because I couldn't bear the disco sound. I hated hearing the Stones and the Dead playing along with it (Fairport Convention did no such thing!). disco as a pop fad is egregious, just as any you name it wears thin and thinner. world weary this and angry that, they all end up as promotions. it's funny, Beth and I straining not to be our parents up against this this this.... today the volume rose because "Disco Inferno" hit the airwaves. that's one I don't mind so much. gee, the bass line's real smart, and the song sounds more like soul or r&b to my aged ears than smack dab disco. disco I think of, at its worst, as Ponch and John tooling down the highway (whether chasing perps or flowing in the wind) to droopy horns and persistent high hat. yikes. "Disco Inferno" gets me tho. what a concept! for Beth and me, disco is an Inferno, leastwise a purgatory. and to take the slogan of the Watts riot and transmogrify it into hoky sex on the dance floor, man, let the politics roll. so I aint ramming Erin for liking disco, he found it on his own, I just feel as ungenerous as my father was. peccavi.

No comments: