Friday, September 17, 2004

just did a quick read of Tribute to Freud by HD. I have to read it more carefully, but am enthralled by it. she's so persistent, a qquality I think I equate with Duncan. persistent in the artistic vision. both see connective puns everywhere. by which I don't simply mean plays on words, but echoes, connections. seeing Freud from this view is instructive. it doesn't diminish the work that he did to witness his self sense, that he it is who discovers (strikes oil). and HD of course is utterly courageous, as well as wise. I also got Trilogy by her. this book came via inter-library exchange from the Acton (Ma) library. it was donated in 2001 by Robert Creeley. where Creeley lived in his youth. Creeley read at that library this past summer. I was either away or just couldn't swing it. HD's book look's brand new, alas. many many years ago I saw Margaret Atwood read at Lexington's library. I believe I'd heard of her at the time, but this was long before she had success as a novelist. she's standing there thinking, if I want success as a poet, this is it. hence the turn to novels. whew, I've led a life full of wonder, haven't I?

No comments: