Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Whimsy Speaks works for me (so onto the blogroll doth it go). even mentioned me. ah, to be mentioned! Whimsy says simply that the Lowell flarf piece I wrote gave mixed results. one might say less than mixed if the attempts by the other flarfsters were compared. I think this that I wrote 5 years ago is better flarf, assuming that I know what flarf is. what I gleaned from the others concerning their method: they start with a vision or intention, then bring the poem out of that. Kasey replaced letters with other letters, spellchecked, babelfished, then edited into what he liked. I was much more tentative in the method. Google searches generally are pretty focussed or thematic, like having an underlying Scott Baio allusion. I'm not particularly comprehensive, I suspect, so I caught up in phrases that sounded good. making the poem was another matter, just stringing lines together. note Jack Kimball's work here and there on his blog for fascinating flarfoid methodology, not to label him. it's a way of gathering tone together, isn't it? it's not really about method, except in a minor technical sense, but the presence of the work. anyway...

No comments: