Friday, July 08, 2005

I didn't hear of the London bombings till late yesterday afternoon. the sudden info spread that we expect now leaves me feeling as if I missed a whole chapter in the history book. not that I need more news to make me nervous. I was numb from only 4 hours sleep the night before last, consulted neither radio or television, and had other concerns, so my ignorance was reasonable. and I have nothing weighty to add. just now walking the dog and hearing sirens persist for while, makes me edgy. about a year after 9/11 I was in Cambridge, waiting for a subway to whisk me 2 stops up. the doors closed but the train didn't move. people got a bit antsy, it was hot and the train was crowded. I stood near the door. suddenly the door's window exploded outward, which caused the woman standing there to yelp. antsiness increased. the doors opened and a few people got off, figuring the odds of getting anywhere by train were slim. I got off too and headed up Mass Ave by foot. there was unusual police presence on the streets, and I noticed that traffic signals weren't working. well it was a power outage. which, after all, is no surpising thing. so in fact I had no interesting terrorist experience, but in a way, I did. I mean I was mostly just curious about what was going on, but I did feel a tension in the air. it was the same tension when things aren't going as they should, with lack of explanation. but there was the hint of an explanation, a worry. it just hangs around.

No comments: