Friday, August 05, 2005

my note on Mark Scroggins' blog sounds a little pre-emptive on my part, like I'm stuck with Olson/Zukofsky/Pound. I still find those writers useful. it seems like some writers took me a certain distance then we parted at the fork, which is not to say I don't still love them. Creeley and WCW guided me well, but I don't feel quite the charge I did when I met them when young. were the palisades of the pantheon still erect, they'd be there. I still go to them, in modesty and tribute, but less often now. the point of this note is to recognize (that's a word I use a lot: somebody give me another) changing tastes, so it seems. Olson had a bullying sort of charisma that magnetized many of his contemporaries, but I didn't start reading him till after his death, about a year after actually. I've wondered how Ginsberg's poetry will fare in future days, for a lot of it doesn't seem that great, really, and he sure had charisma. so I've noted a fade re Olson. which is why I was so excited to talk with Olson aficionado James Cook, the guy who doesn't blog enough, at that party last spring. I know I haven't been battered around enough by Stein, by Rimbaud, by Zukofsky even, still feel I've got some investigation to do before I freeze over completely.

No comments: