Wednesday, October 12, 2005

nice little bit about Robert Grenier via Ron Silliman. good picture of Grenier. he was a pretty serious basketball player when he taught at Franconia and if my fuzzy memory is correct, I believe he played for Harvard's b-ball team back in the day. it all kinda fits. a commenter mentions having had RG as a professor at Franconia in the mid 70s. literally, how many can say that? I had Grenier as poetry professor in the early 70s. Franconia was so, so small. I don't even know how many years Grenier taught there. I was there for his 1st year. a certain sense of challenge as regards poetry and the writing and reading thereof was instilled in me by Grenier. for which I am grateful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If memory serves me right, Bob had a basketball scholarship to Harvard. It was Lowell who steered him to Iowa for grad school. And Dick Tillinghast & James Tate who got him invited to teach at Berkeley. I once saw him playing basketball with Stephen Spender & Hugh Witemeyer (I was on the court as well, but to say that I was playing basketball would have been a considerable overstatement).

Simple Theories said...

it was my memory that Bob had a b-ball scholarship but I was thinking that Harvard didn't give sports scholarships. gosh, I really still have brain cells!