Sunday, December 18, 2005

the collected of Berrigan and Koch appear simultaneously and, having to prioritize, I chose Berrigan. not to implement a dualism, that's Ron Silliman's job, but Berrigan's more 'important' to me. and part of that is merely that Koch has been more available to me than Berrigan, easier to find his books. both books are unquestionably events. as opposed to the yearly Best American Poetry, which srikes me as a grim escapade for those profs too lazy to implement their own reading list. also, the anthology for those needing cv material. lark on. I will get Koch's book as soon as I can. I like in both him and Berrigan how their work is centred on adventure. I aint even seen Koch's visual work to speak of, that's a further element of adventure. I got Koch's New Addresses from the library the other day. I'm geting kinda leery of thin hardcover poetry books from major publishers, there's such an air of dry formality to the packages. it's grim to look at the credits for Koch's book and see APR, Poetry, The New Yorker. good for him, I guess, because he got paid, but to think an inarguably great writer (our greatest? what a dopey thing to say) is stuck in the evident morasses of those rags (no, The New Yorker aint a rag, but its column filler stance toward poetry is bogus) is just a little depressing. I liked Koch's addresses altho reading thru the book, I got a feeling more of exercise. a trifle prefunctory. but I was glad the book was thematic, and not just recent scrapings. which goes back to the nature of those big pub po books. everything looks so damn formal.

No comments: