Saturday, May 27, 2006

Anime Boston day two. thankfully we'd gone thru the registration yesterday, today was mobbed. Erin wanted to see the anime music video presentation. he ran ahead of me in his eagerness. when I got there, I couldn't see him. I sat in for some of it, he saw the whole thing. people take animes and use music of their choosing to create vids. I dunno who did the music for the 1st one. I'd call it some form of metal. the bass could be felt in my chest. I guess it was actually drums that I heard but boosted to explosive levels, very assaultive. very noisy as there was little separation of sounds. I rather liked it all, and the flashing images, but I couldn't take a diet of it. ensuing vids were tamer, except for German metal stuff that sounded a bit TOO German, Tod Tod Tod. a lot of parental units were in evidence, and they were kindly putting with the assault. an Avril Lavigne song came on and I decided to move on. I came back later to hear Bon Jovi doing "Have a Nice Day". the band is quite tight but jeez, that song sounds like a Ratt tribute band. it wasn't just that it was 80s music, but that they worked so hard at it, really amped it. lame. there were Jesus Christs both yesterday and today. as well a character, I assume from some anime, who carries a large crucifex tied to his back. perhaps that'a some sort of symbolism. one fellow had the cross in a backpack, odd image. another common theme was the school girl look: short skirts, knee socks, pig tails. at an atm a fellow blurted why are you doing this to me?, speaking of Christ. his card wasn't getting read and he got exasperated quickly. he talked to the machine loudly until it finally got the message and relented to give him money. another fellow was having his picture taken, and he assumed his power pose, an Elvisy sort of stance, with one hand outstretched powerfully. you could practically see the emanation of a purple energy beam. without that purple energy beam, I think the guy would've been kinda dorky. but not to make fun of these people. as I said, the vibe was really good, playful and excited. another guy was dressed super cool, with a sharp jacket with sleeves pushed up, like totally 70s. he had a flattened, bent cigarette in his mouth, a subtle touch. the young women taking his pic were excited like he was a celeb, and he looked pleased. I watched several episodes of an anime, something to do about slaying a dragon. really not a lot of animation involved, mostly movement was suggested by a panning of the image. which was effective. Erin and I ate at the food court, which appeared something like a Hollywood commissary. a guy had his head thru a board, had an eyeball hanging and his intestines were squirming out of his abdomen. and yet he was eating lunch! Erin raced off (again) to an anime writing workshop. which was full up when I got there. and so forth. I got a manga, no wait I got two. would've gotten more but so many were series. one of the things that killed f and sf for me was the chance you'll discover that the book you just got is book 17 of the Greengrabiad, a fact not clear until you reach the end and discover it's not close to an end at all. a disturbing sight was a person pushing a wheelchair. in the wheelchair was someone dressed in a big foam rubber costume, looked like Picachu. seemed sad somehow.

No comments: