Friday, August 11, 2006

and then we went to Costco. oh yes. we just decided, okay, there's bulk things we can buy and save, save, save. why not? we got out membership, which is a weird concept for me, but let's play the game. the woman who took my picture said it looked just like my license. same grim discomfort in front of the camera. passed down from my mother. with an oversized shopping cart we zigged and zagged down all the food aisles. a surprising number of items found at Whole Foods can be found at Costco as well. so we don't have to change our diet to disodium whatsis or red dye number 666. my Judy Collins approved granola at WF, however, is cheaper than anything similar at Costco. the cart filled with cleaning and paper products, woohoo. to the point of being hard to steer. yay! we didn't buy potato chips but it is nice to think that you could place yourself in the wonderful position of never having to buy chips again in your lifetime. or Lucky Charms, now fortified with extra green marshmallows. someone once came into the wine store I worked at with the goal of never having to buy port again, port being a wine that can age and improve for decades. we're talking some 50 cases (he had two winecellars!!!). anyway, Beth and I won't wake up tomorrow realizing that 35 pounds of butter is somewhat more than we need near term. a surprising aspect of Costco, really surprising to me, was the atmosphere there. it struck me that the employees were happy, at least not miserable. you don't get that feeling at Wal-Mart, K-Mart or Target. I understand Costco pays decently. what a concept. that was our day's adventure.

No comments: