Saturday, March 10, 2007

we saw Talladega Nights last night. saw the trailer before some movie, and thought it was funny, but didn't know if that were the extent of the movie. it was really pretty good. I don't think I've seen a Will Farrell movie. I've seen, and liked, him on SNL, and I think he's had small parts here and there. unlike other SNL alum, his presence is less categorized. he seems neither branded or constrained. one doesn't expect him to carry a movie but in fact, if this movie bears the truth, he can. his pairing with John Reilly was excellent. I take Reilly as an actor rather than a comedian. he provides a subtle strength. okay, that's a mushy thing to say. I guess I mean he takes on his role intelligently, thoughtfully, yet without losing freshness. the best scene was around the dinner table. everyone except the grandfather is saying outrageous things. it's such a bent reality. I lost interest a bit as the normative plot unveiled itself. perhaps it's necessary as something to hang the antics on, but it can't be relied on for tension, tho we are expected to fall for the plot turns. Sasha Baron-Cohen was scary as the French racer. SBC really inhabits roles. he carries a disturbing intensity. you saw it in Borat, but of course that whole movie meant to disturb and outrage. his character in Talladega was more on the order of Snidely Whiplash, yet SBC's intensity wants to burst thru such a limitation. anyway, what I thought would be a Will Ferrell vehicle proved to be a much fuller cinematic experience.

3 comments:

Kasey Mohammad said...

In some ways I feel that films like TN or Nacho Libre are even more successful at the kind of effect Wes Anderson goes for in films like The Royal Tennenbaums or The Life Aquatic than Anderson himself (though I like both those movies, esp. Life). They don't feel as "literary" or stiff as Anderson, and thus have more freedom to explore and transform aspects of character, plot, visual composition, etc.

shanna said...

allen, see *anchorman* with will ferrell too!

Simple Theories said...

if Aquatic Life didn't have Bill Murray in it, I might've skipped out of it early, tho I finally liked the movie. I don't even know how that arty airiness gets into it, like smoke or smell, but it's a sort of preciousness that I dislike. TN gracefully goes for the yuks, and at times, like the dinner table scene, or those faux ads, really transcends its own seeming milieu. you might have guessed from the trailer that TN could be all of 3 jokes (albeit good ones), so it is nice to discover that in fact it carries much more substance. and yuks.