Monday, August 20, 2007

I say we a lot, and I'm sticking with it.We are still putting things in their place. books have yet to be unpacked. reading Faulkner and the latest issue of Tricycle (Buddhist mag), c'est ca. who reads books, anyway? well, if reading books soaks your teabag, why not get Days Poem. it was written with the belief that Walden Pond, bears, Henry Thoreau, Fu Manchu, Nepal and hobos all exist. it was written with love. we are now going there regularly, Walden, that is. it makes sense. so anyway, in lieu of reading, we watched Twister again last night. it holds up well. that's a thing about movies. many, I find, wear out. after a few viewings I tend to fast froward (typo alert! I retain it because how often will froward show up in anything I write???), or want to, to the nifty bits. Twister remains quite compelling visually, even tho some of the effects look a little like last week. I love the sense of place. somehow, the movie makes Oklahoma in the summer seem like a jolly wonderful place. oh those lovely farmhouses and lush cornfields, and I'm sure it doesn't get hot in Oklahoma in the summer time. the camera treats all the characters quite amiably, even what's his name as the Snidely Whiplash of tornado chasers. the antic crew of good guys is a fun ensemble of Hollywood almost nobodies who each has a fully defined 2-dimensional character to play with. funny to see Philip Seymour Hoffman before he became Capote (which I haven't seen but I'm sure his transformation is blah blah blah breathtaking). while Helen Hunt, Bill Paxton and Jami Gertz play their de rigueur pas de trois, tornadoes come and go. it works. the wonderland of Oklahoma brims alive with twisters. altho Helen Hunt has a mission thru out the film, the tornadoes never become vengeful murderers, as Hollywood movies tend to track. timely laughs lift nicely, most notably near the end when Helen and Bill enter a barn for protection, only to see scads of pointy scythes and pitch forks rocking in the building breeze. this may be as close to twisters as I'll ever get. soon I shall read poetry again, soon write.

No comments: