Wednesday, July 21, 2004

also reading Anne Sexton and Kenneth Koch. Sexton has craft, being tuned to sound. I believe she can write a strong sentence, which is not to be assumed of all poets. her weather reports pall for me, however. dark and gloomy, okay doke. it seems like the best value to her work is seed for studying cultural mores. whoop, but I mean, she's read as someone in the cultural crux. one can do that with Dickinson or Woolf, but you can't stop there. I labour to read her work. Koch is ostensibly interesting. it is his effort to be interesting. I can think of a batch of New Yorkish poets who seem to derive from his example. he is keen to effect. I found myself (I haven't read Koch in a long time) tiring with his poetry. read a couple and put the book down. poems that are (or at least seem to be) discrete cut from the continuum don't stay with me, I guess. O'Hara's poetry seems part of a flow.

No comments: