Wednesday, July 21, 2004

and furthermore... I have a Plath collection, not yet read. a note by Hughes states that she finished, one way or tother, almost everything she started. I don't get that sense of craft in poetry anymore. in unrhymed, unmetred poetry, it is hard to figure exactly what the craft is. for myself, e'en tho I often break grammatical rules, I keep Strunk and White in my head. that's my craft. instead of metre, that is, I'm using The Sentence as measure. Plath is probably worrying the imagery. I don't rewrite a great deal, figuring the machine is largely what it is. I can oil and buff the poem a bit, but radical changes aren't going to help. I like Dickinson's method, with the fascicles she made. by binding the poems, she must've been thinking at least partly in terms of finished works. but she addended alternate word choices. which makes me think of hypertext, where alternative readings are built in.

No comments: