Thursday, July 15, 2004

been reading Paterson again, long time no see. of the various long poems P is perhaps the easiest to read thru. it plunges forward, whereas Maximus, A, Cantos have a more vertical rather than horizontal movement. which might relate to WCW's job, and the sort of writing stretches he could muster. WCW's experimental work is always self-conscious and pretentious. I don't mean phony, just hopeful of its meaning. he was at odds with himself in that way, for it is when his eye isn't on the artistic prize that he writes his best work. the Blaser quote below works for me, my sensibilty, for its sense of narrative and lack thereof. I think P reveals WCW too concerned with the narrative push, that's the poem's flaw. it is natheless wonderful to read thru the mess, as it often is with Whitman, as well. and the local that WCW understands and cherishes bursts forth despite his artistic pretension. I'm interested in how to carry on.

No comments: