Monday, July 12, 2004

Capillano Review reviewed Robin Blaser's collected essays (by Meredith Quartermain). I'd like to read Blaser's book. at least in the US Blaser seems a little under regarded. tho when he dies the eulogies will ring on Poetics, as they did with Gil Ott and Cid Corman. like Duncan, Blaser twines ongoing projects threaded together, presenting them chronologically. a nod to process. I still love the idea of big long works. not so much in the sense of my BLW, but life projects like Cantos, Maximus, A, The Alphabet. tho my long works, like Digital and Days Poem (unpublished), at least show a persistence in theme or interest. what I'm trying to note in Blaser and the others is a sense of sitting down and writing your Collected Poems. so that the result is not just a raked pile of leaves (of grass, arf arf) but a dedication. tho I think Whitman goes awry with his rewriting and re-inventing. (ahem, Wordsorth did the same). so that when you say Leaves of Grass, you have to specify which one. I think the commanding energy there is outside, Whitman trying to manipulate the image. but the idea of him writing just the one book of poems(or one poem), ever evolving, is exciting. I'm going to spend more time with Blaser's work (Holy Forest sits by my bedside).

No comments: