Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Patrick Herron recalls on Poetics the 2000 Boston Poetry whatsis. attending my first public reading since Franconia, and a large one. my entrance to a larger poetry world (where larger poetry...). Beth and I had lunch and hung out with Peter Ganick and Sheila Murphy. Sheila was in process of introducing me to Nada Gordon when someone greeted Nada and I was forgot. Robert Grenier tried to introduce me to Robert Creeley logn ago, threes times even, but under whatever influnce RC just wasn't noticing... but after therapy, I'm okay!!! met Stephen Ellis in person, after an email acquaintance, adn he stayed the night with us. met Patrick face to face, him up from NC. sat with Sheila writing during the readings, she was writing too. listening and writing. I was impressed by Michael Gizzi's reading, dry, crisp and witty. Sheila read well, not loud but very clear and dynamic. a lesson for others. we had a great sunday morning breakfast with Patrick, Stephen. about wore out by sunday afternoon so missed some interesting stuff. it was an event.

haven't been able to commit as well to the ensuing readings. last year missed it completely while travelling out west. mean to take in some this year, but easier said than done. a son to consider and an elderly father to take care of.

this year's reading once again bubbles with controversy. as in: who gets to read? to which can only be said, if you don't like the reading, start your own. the lineup for this year's reading has people I want to hear, people I would sooner avoid, and quite a few I don't know. no issues here to be desperate about.

No comments: