Saturday, August 21, 2004

also reading Metropolis by Robert Fitterman (Sun&Moon 2000). reminds me of Ark, by Ronald Johnson for how it varies stylistically as needed. it also reminded me of Stacy Doris's work, in its energy. what I know of SD's work, it's a generous havoc, wild and comedic. Fitterman's work paces differently, more leisurely and with less eruption. both SD and RF are very New York not in the sense of That School and the myriad copiers, but in the presence of the city. we came up 95 from New Jersey lst june going wow, the Jersey marshes, wow Brooklyn Heights, wow the skyline, wow the George Washington Bridge. that New York. oh, I also thought of Hart Crane as I read RF. Nick Piombinio offers some links to further bits of Metropolis. I recommend that you apply yourself in that way.

No comments: