Wednesday, September 08, 2004

interesting to see Robert Grenier's work at an art gallery. while I was at Franconia, he took over a hallway that usually was used to display artwork (usually photography). he pinned index cards on which he'd typed his little poems. these would eventually become the box of poems called Sentences. so I guess he always had that sense of his work. it was a nat display, put you 'in' the poetry. Robert's daughter Amy provided the cover art for several issues of This. she was at the time around 4, and as I recall the drawings weren't so dissimilar from Robert's, altho she drew 'pictures' rather than 'words'. I think the example here is lovely. the prices are definitely New York prices. suffice to say that I am not a minimalist, but I have room to accept it. I very much respect Grenier's work, but don't entirely get want Silliman is on about with him. but I accept that this could be my ignorance or inability to understand. anyway, Jukka, out there in blogland, check this guy out if you haven't before.

No comments: