Wednesday, November 10, 2004

I'm enjoying Stephen Vincent's Sappho translations, or transgressions. I am interested in how the original's structure (or ghosts thereof) remains in these, in Stephen's Zukofsky translations, and in my mess up with Rilke. I am inspired to tangent. the English song "Greensleeves" is much recognizble. I find it funny that the lovely melody has a grand range of lyrics. aside from Vaugh Williams' Fantasia (I love Williams), there's the courtly love song (alas my love you do me wrong) and the Xmas song (What Child Is This). one version celebrates New Year's Day with, as I recall, pre-Christian overtones. one version, by Odetta, concerns a camp follower. there's even a scatological version that I think Robert Burns collected. memories of the Classic Anthology flavour these poems that translate something otehr than word for word 'meaning'. by the way, I enjoy the running threads of Stephen's blog. reminds me of Duncan's twinings. well, you get the same on my blog: Faville jokes, um, reworked African spam proposals, and I'm sure other stuff tho nothign coems to mind...

No comments: