Friday, November 12, 2004

yesterday we again taught painting at an adult daycare. 2 of the 4 participants were regulars. the other 2 were Russians, recently arrived or what, and their interpreter. the activities director goofed and scheduled us on Veterans Day, when a celebration was planned. we'd've gotten more participants otherwise. I dunno what up with the Russians. the interpreter led the Russians, holding their hands to assist the strokes. I was reluctant to interfere with this because of the confusion with language but that's not what Beth or I want to do, lead people like that. our 2 regulars were Judy, who is motivated and prolific, and Julia, who can't get started but is tremendously enthusiastic. both were encouraging to the Russians. I did a lollipop tree and that inspired the woman, Galina, to do some lollipop trees, and a forest scene. the scene included Russian mushrooms, the interpreter explained to me. Beth did lollipop trees herself, really lollipops in a nifty design. Jakov did a scene with himself, including his cane, his house, his daughter, his daughter's car, and the interpreter. Galina did a 2nd that was a lake in Russia. I asked where the Russians came from. the interpreter said Russia. what part of Russia? yes, Russia. the cold part? yes, Russia. are the winters long? Jakov said hah! winter! then muttered something that the interpreter translated as winters are 6 months long. the interpreter guided Julia, and frankly that was good. Julia's so self-deprecating. it's sad, because it is because of loss of function. her memory is slipping, and the realization hurts. I haven't met her husband but know that he has been busily supportive of her painting, getting her supplies and framing her work and such. she showed me something she was working on at home, a sketch of a vase and flowers which she was carefully adding colour to. quite nice, and I wanted Beth to see. but when Beth was free to look, the painting was gone. Julia had no idea where it went. Jakov worked busily, then when he was done, he sat back and read a Russian newspaper. Galina reached a surfeit of painting and politely excused herself. Judy only did 2 paintings then joined the Veterans Day festivities. those festivities began with Sousa music. I heard some of the men explain where they served during WW2. Beth heard a guy give a speech about blowing the Iraqis to hell. a man who hasn't been in our class told me about the art he's done, proud in a fascinated way. he wanted us to see something he'd just finished and given to one of the helpers there. turns out he gave it to another helper, who had already left. a number of people said goodbye when we left. my father gets a van ride to and from the center (not the same one) when he goes. I doubt my father is particularly social on the ride (he used to be gregarious) but a woman who sounds like Marge Simpson's mother typically bellows as my father makes his way from the van, nice and easy Otis, take your time. the day before I did a little painting with 2 girls at the homeschool cooperative. Beth had arranged to tutor the girls in watercolour but was busy wednesday so I sat with the girls and we messed around. they are sisters, 7 and 6. they'd been in our collage class last spring. bright kids. the older one earned summa cum laude in national Latin tests. their parents are a bit in overdrive (and surprise, the father recently suffered a massive heart attack) so the girls are really pressed to do work. they take piano lessons, step dancing lessons, latin, german. Beth has been adamant to instill in them that painting at least is just for fun. we used some fake fruit as subjects. once I'd messed up my attempt I started doodling with colours. this fascinated the younger girl, and she proceeded to experiment a-plenty, including dunking the painted paper in water. I really like teaching if this sort of thing is teaching. this cooperative we're part of is becoming a formal school. those Russians didn't need someone pushing their hands, and homeschoolers don't need that thrust to success.

No comments: