Tuesday, January 11, 2005

tell me about poetry's clarity

my father got lost yesterday, not for the 1st time. he didn't know where he was. he wants to return to his home in Cambridge, that he left so long ago. he recognized me as someone he knows but the concept of son escaped him. he rose several times in the night ready to get up. I rushed out of bed when I heard the front door open at 5:30 am. my father was looking out the door. he wanted to determine if it was time to get up, if it was morning. he suffers from a common disturbance among the elderly called sundowning. you can't tell him that it is night even with the darkness outside. I try to explain where he is but he just doesn't get it. he feels adrift and lost. then in the afternoon, he's back. he even felt as if he had been somewhere. and he was glad he was back. happy to see me and Beth and Erin, the cat and the dog.

No comments: