Tuesday, February 08, 2005

long week. Beth, Erin and I all got sick. wednesday I was too sick to visit my father at the hospital. on thursday, Erin was tested for flu, strep and pneumonia. an xray at the hospital, where all 3 of us had to wear masks. negative to all tests, so muddle on. the hospital was done with my father on thursday. even with a fever and lung congestion, hey were done. we were too sick to take him, and he was too sick to be outside professional care, so he was put in a rehab facility. I spent thursday afternoon in bed, 1st shivering then sweating. felt better friday, thought I could see my father, but then Beth took a turn, vomitting. saturday, a springlike day, Beth and I finally got to see my father. his lungs still rattle, and he looks so frail. he was very tired. he hasn't been eating. sunday he was livelier, tho still rattling. I brought him a copy of American History magazine. a page had a photo of the Concord Minuteman, the statue that stands at Concord Bridge, all of a crow-flown mile away. Emerson's poem about the bridge was reprinted, which my father read aloud. he probably had to do that in grammar school. yesterday Beth wanted me to sleep in, sleep all day. I slept a lot, read a lot. she sat with my father, who has eaten a little. he won't be home anytime soon.

No comments: