Saturday, February 12, 2005

a woman came up to me when we were talking with the nurse at the desk at the rehab. in a loud declarative voice she said, "this is a Christian institution. get out!" and on she went. she said I was a sinner, it was shameful that I smoked. she told a nurse to go back to Africa. I looked at her but said nothing. she wondered why I didn't accept Jesus. someone from the rehab said to her, you're not greeting visitors to the rehab very nicely. all while we visited with my father, she could be heard bellowing away. when we left, she said, go away, get out of god. I can only assume she wasn't always that way. how'd you like it if she were your mother. I've seen another woman who's quite angry. she mutters away, occasionally directs invective towards you. another woman I've seen, not that old but confined to a wheelchair, seems always whimpering. sitting in front of the elevator, which needs a code punched in to operate, sobbing quietly and wishing she could go to some party on another floor. and my own father, getting a little better but still distant. it's all a lot to hold.

No comments: