Friday, April 08, 2005

***retro warning (I'm serious)***

sometimes I get a little stuck in 1968, so be forewarned. I turn your attention, O Bram-hordes, to the tune Pride of Man by Quicksilver Messenger Service. this is a live version of a song on QMS's 1st lp. it's a bit crappy version but still chilling. QMS was a psychedelic SF band, as you can probably tell with a listen. the song was written by Hamilton Camp, a comedic actor who used to appear on the Smothers Brothers Show, lots of others as well. I guess he was also a folkie, too. done by QMS, this is pyschedelic Old Testament. I mean it is heavy, man. imagine hearing this song after missing the turn onto The Golden Road and heading straight for Bummer City! yow! I take this song as a crazy ass rendering of fundamentalist horror. QMS, on their lp Happy Trails, did an instrumental depiction of Christ going down for the 3 count called "Calvary", which is Cecil B de Mille on acid. lots of acid, in fact. just to clear your mental palate, you might try a taste of "Mona". the Bo Diddley song, but slowed down some. I love the lead guitar, an amorphous sound filtered thru tremolo and wah wah.

No comments: