Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Gary sullivan notes a real review of Elsewhere the comic. he's not happy with the review but it's a review. even negative reviews give you something to think about. said the guy who's never been reviewed. the reviewer, who looks to be a comic jockey of note, right at the beginning refers to Japanese Notebook as a story. that's his expectation talking. knowing Sullivan to be a poet, I wasn't looking for a story. I mean, I have a sense of narrative that comprises disjunction, but I don't call that a story. so Spurgeon has his angle of approach. from that viewpoint, Gary's drawing doesn't haul enough weight. but you think of comic strips running the aesthetic gamut from Charles Schultz to Hal Foster. a finer line in Elsewhere may undermine the words. I see no point in arguing against Spurgeon except to say that he looks at the comic differently than I do. it's poetry plus to me, whereas I guess Spurgeon's seeing comix and that tradition standing behind the work. both of us expect something as we look at the comic. I'll assume that it's a typo, but it's a nice one in the review: "The overall treatment leaves a little to be something to be desired." he sure said the saying of that all right!

No comments: