Saturday, May 07, 2005

something of a weekend exercise, mess with a text. I kinda do the same old thing, methodwise. choose a text at Project Gutenberg. do some whimsical find and replace actions. fuss with that. do a semi-random spellcheck in which I accept corrections out of whimsy or without looking. fuss with that. send it thru Babelfish a bit then fuss with that. I don't feel clever in the use of these methods, I'm just looking for something interesting. if I were presenting these things as works of art, I may not advert the source text, or if I did, only in passing. my point is not parody, tho that must enter given what I'm doing. the source text here is Freud's Theory of Sex. I and up with 3 or 4 completely different drafts, each one plausibly a work in itself, tho it's all just hard drive filler, to disappear the next time my computer dies (I do occasionally back up my work but things disappear nonetheless) (like the 1st time I dutifully backed up onto cd and didn't realize that there's one more click to finally confirm that you want to copy to disk, so nothing actually went onto it)(yadda yadda).

No comments: