Friday, January 13, 2006

paying close attention

is,
in itself,
a political act


those lines are from a sequence by Tom Beckett in the Hay(na)ku Anthology. hello Alito, etc. I do not, in fact, pay attention so well. at least in a political sense. Beth does, and Stephen Vincent, and Jack Kimball. etc. but I understand the directive. well 1st, I have to say that Tom has boiled it down, because it is simply alertness that keeps us going. or anti-alertness is our death. I want to make the side note that the format of hay(na)ku exactly BECKons the means of Tom Beckett, whose boiling down process rhymes nicely or integrates into this simplicity of making. but that political point stabs me. I was ruminating blandly (I suppose) within the format, jotting these 6 word stanzas, with Alito in mind without having to be placed there. I may put the pome here if my typing fingers are up to it. I'm just swirling round the campus of the idea of how the collecting of 6 words into 3 lines and one stanza kept grasping at Alito (in mind), Bush and such and such. I'm not a rigor guy, insofar as writing in form, but I am taken by how the idea in mind stays patient to the strictness of a (sensible) form. I mean, when form is prevention, quel est la pointe? but when form indicates a path, without being a chute into the industry of spew, then there's some useful glimmer.

No comments: