Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I got Kenneth Koch's collected from the library. I wish I had more time and focus to read it. When I got Berrigan's I knew I was facing that. it's funny that these 2 major collections came out at the same time, altho I suppose Christmas had something to do with that. both writers were adventurous, but that quality shows itself differently with each. I may be risking a stupid statement here--it would be my 1st ever--but Koch seemed to pretend to be a different writer with different works. here he's a formalist (I use that term only superficially), here he's a narrative writer, here he's an academic, etc. I'm pointing to the way he commits to his projects. this is exactly opposite to Olson, who with every genre, including letters and lectures, sounded the same, with stutters and madcap leaps and his oddball erudition. which I admire in him, just as I admire how Koch turns himsself over to the modus operandi. Koch was facile in the best sense. I have to say, tho, that I've never read his book length baseball poem. I have it but can't think of its title. I'm not sure what puts me off. I can put up with fitting one's words to the rhyme scheme or metre for writers 'back then', but such comes across as unnecessarily labourious nowadays. excuse me for saying. I'll read the book sometime. anyway, Berrigan's adventurism consists of throwing himself into situations of surprise. impulse drove him. perhaps I shall get Koch's book. I mean, of course it belongs on the shelf of anyopne serious about the art. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more extra stuff in the book. like appendices, notes, whatnot. I realize these are mostly just trappings, but I like trappings! it is a event book, as I've said before. it's a different event than Berrigan's because TB has been gone longer, and KK has a better publishing history than Berrigan. I imagine later editions will be plumped up as memory of Koch the person diminishes, and also as further scholarship digs up what it finds. anyhoo, random thoughts...

No comments: