Sunday, March 26, 2006

I stuck Stan Apps' Blog into my personal, and not necessarily permanent, Valhalla. he lists his 10 favourite novels and bedad it looks like I aint read a one (well, I read half of On the Road. I've read several novels by Samuel Delany, probably all early ones, liked them all, but saw nothing that transcended the genre (and scifi needs to be transcended). I've read Rudy Rucker but not the specific one he menches, nor have I read the Dick he menches, but will soon. I've never read Dostoyevski, nor will I till I can comfortably and reliably spell his name. I am remiss with Kathy Acker, have only read a couple of short things by her. I feel novels can be a fruitful study for poetry, anyway, am tired of the insistence of genre boundary. my own list for fav novels would be college professor approved, I'm afraid: Moby Dick, Remembrance, Mrs Dalloway, Ulysses. there are batches of writers for whom no one work sticks out: Flann O'Bien, Henry James, maybe I'd put Woolf in this list. then there's Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey series, Tolkien... well frankly I'm not much of a list maker.

No comments: