Friday, April 09, 2004

my reading has changed a number of times over the years. I had a spell during which I read largely fiction, including much too much genre stuff, scifi and mysteries and such. I say much too because I was never excited about scifi or mysteries. I can say I read critically, and made use of that reading, but I wasn't getting fueled. currently I read a great deal of buddhist or philosophic texts. I never read such stuff when I was younger. I didn't have the brain to comprise the terms of such. by buddhist texts, I should say that I mean primary ones, like the Pali canon (a 4-volume edition of much of it I got free from a buddhist center. this site has the Pali canon (Buddha's words) online, and you can find there how to get the books I got here (and by the way, modest html work being done here). I also mean the modern day stuff, hoping not to be new age or self helpy. a book on Mindfulness by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana was very helpful in getting me started meditating (a month ago). I don't want to proselytize but as a writer I find times when there are just too many words in my head. I've dipped into Hegel, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Kant and so forth (Jung and Freud, too) and I don't know shit but this reading still seems to work for me. I used to read poetry constantly, and write as I did so, but I read much less poetry now. I guess I don't need the mentoring as I did when younger.

No comments: