Sunday, June 27, 2004

I received a contributor's copy of Lost and Found Times, which John M Bennett edits. I did not send a piece in, he printed a collaboration he and I did together. I enjoy LAFT because it has such giddy energy. it consists of a mess of collaborations and hack jobs. hack jobs being, as I define it, when someone takes someone else's work and Does Something To It. it might be riffing on the earlier work, or some subversion. many of the works are visual. if nothing else, LAFT presents an unsettling of author function. JMB hacked a piece of mine on Wryting. as I recall, he took many letters away to reveal his poem. my piece was disappeared by Bennett. he titled it After AHB's Whatever My Title Was. a network of hackers exists, of which LAFT is the visual proof. John sent to Ivan Argüelles, who hacked John's piece, producing something a lot closer to mine thematically (and really lovely, I wonder if I have it around). and scrupulously it was titled After John After Allen. I have found myself published a few times in LAFT because JMB has seen things on Wryting and put them in his magazine. as I said, this goes into author function. Kent Johnson speaks often of Author Function, and what he does routinely seems a criticism of it. I mean his subversions on listservs is not energized by a mere argumentative tension as that of many listees are. I'm not sure it's all conscious on his part, he's not aloof to the reactions his subversions produce, but it's fascinating what he's doing. JMB and those with whom he works stem from mail art. a network of people sending work back and forth. I am not attached to that scene but I appreciate it. and tho I am all for author function, I guess, and am not trying to eradicate myself, I find it useful to consult that process. when I post online, I acknowledge to myself that the work is well out of my hands, and it could be 'stolen' or made use of. don't post online unless you're not worried about such things. anyway, the point here is to advert LOST AND FOUND TIMES. the address is:
LUNA BISONTE PRODS
137 Leland Ave
Columbus OH 43214


and by the way, I love John's calligraphy. his lines situate themselves nicely between graceful and sloppy. I have yet to define a calligraphy style, I'm still stiff, trying to be neat.

No comments: