Tuesday, June 29, 2004

was in a news blackout while away, only heard a smattering of what's going on. couldn't miss Reagan's death, of course. I'm glad the president has left office but I see no point in praising his death. we're all on the same road. my father is 35 days younger than RR, and losing it. whether it is Alzheimer's or dementia hasn't been clinically determined, but his confusion is considerable. a slow decline, but lately worse. yesterday while eating dinner he was convinced that he just got up, that it was morning. nonetheless he retains enough sense to know he's confused, which is painful to see in his eyes. his sister had Alzheimer's, was much more distant, mumbling and chattering to herself, tho with occasional moments of clarity. I see the same smile in him that she would have. confusion mixed with self-deprecating merriment. when my aunt first showed signs of Alzheimer's, my father got into a tizzy looking for a book he had. it was a picture book of Provincetown, on Cape Cod. my father and aunt spent summers in Provincetown, where their grandfather owned a business. my father thought that seeing the book of nostalgic pictures would snap my aunt out of her confusion. but alas. just as it is impossible to convince my father that it is 2 am, not time to get up. nothing is obvious.

No comments: