Friday, August 13, 2004

"...if a given poet is only one of two thousand equally worthwhile poets, why should any particular reader choose to read him or her? How can one distinguish oneself from the thousands?"--Jonathan Mayhew, the blog.

as a reader, one cerainly makes decisions given time to read is limited, and access to particular works may be difficult. I can't shake up the interest to read Hayden Carruth (well, I have a little bit, in the day), so I'm not even going there.

as regards distingushing oneself from the thousands: not my problem. I thought it was/is a problem for many reading at Bosstown Massacration, as poetry seems quite socialized among them. poetry is their interaction. but I see the matter of distinguishing as right out. god forbid I make a "Their Satanic Majesty's Request" in answer to someone's "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band". I'll try ot figure something else out.

No comments: