Sunday, August 08, 2004

so "Walking Theory" is processual. makes me think of Thoreau, not poetically (the poems reverb more of Zukofsky) but of place. and act of. when I ran heavy mileage, I often felt very grounded to the moment. I wasn't thinking, but absorbing. something like a meditative state. sometimes the strain of running wasn't so accomodating to this state or feeling, but neither did things have to be perfect. I dunno if SV writes while oot and aboot, or if the writing occurs later, of it some sort of both. I didn't write while running. certainly not pen in hand, and only rarely might I cogitate some lines. a kind of act of. Thoreau was so active in the landscape that I can't see not holding him as poetic exemplar. even if his art was more descriptive. I see Zukofky's landscape as different, more mental, but exemplary as well. and here SV has himself in a place and time. the matter of process means to me some maintaining energy. something in each day. not just 'here's the poem I wrote today, it seems I was walking the dog and suddenly I found that I said 'and suddenly...', and so forth'. and so forth.

No comments: