Monday, August 09, 2004

was reading some of Beverly Dahlen's A Reading yestreen. specifically the 2nd volume (8-10) published by Chax Press. the 1st volume (1-7) is from Momo Press, I believe (I couldn't find my copy last night), which I further believe was and/or is Stephen Vincent's press. the 3rd volume (11-17) is from Potes&Poets Press. I wanted to quote from the beginning of part 8, but the book isn't handy (is the book ever handy?), so I'll do that later. I wonder how 'popular' this work is. I find it quite engaging. sooth to say, I've never gotten far with My Life by Lyn Hejinian. I don't quite grok the excitement for that work, especially as I find works like The Cell and Oxota by her more compelling. I'm not being definitive here. I am always quite tentative in my views, even if I don't sound it. Dahlen's work is processual, in the way I was minded of with "Walking Theory". it is also coolly personal, rather like My Life. I have heard little about Dahlen and her work, but maybe I just haven't got my ear to the ground. certes, if one relies on Poetics list for what's going on, you'll realize none is going on whatsoever, NONE! there is amazingly little discussion about specific poets on Poetics. and a lot of it within the mindset that Silliman=Bernstein=Hejinian=Perelman... the monolith school for undertanding. The School of Brutalisms, the New Quietists. hey, let's all get out shoes on!!!

No comments: