Sunday, January 02, 2005

filling in some blanks. 1st Slought Dot Org audio files. Olson's here, as I mentioned, and I just noticed Coltrane and Sun Ra interviews. looks like one of these sites where you do a lot of clicking afore you find the goods. some transcripts of the audio files, which is handy. 2nd: Spaceship Tumblers, more audio (L Carter, T Tost, as I did mench yesterday). I would ask for the text as well. I don't know the history of poetry readings in our modern sense. I know the Romantics would party down with poetry read and written, Whitman must've impressed his acolytes with his latest correction of the text, etc. Vachel Lindsay hit the circuit with his dramatic readings. what about Pound and the modernists? I suppose the Beats brought readings to popular public consumption. I read my work aloud now and then. sometimes to/for Beth, sometimes as part of the writing process. my own sense of reading wants the work to do the work, id est, I would prefer as the reader to temper performance. à la Michael Gizzi, who reads low key but crisp (low key I got but I'm probably not crisp). but I recognize other ways exist. anyway, stuff to listen to.

No comments: