Monday, January 03, 2005

yeah, popups exist on my site. and I don't like 'em but it's the best I can do. I spent a long, long time entirely unread. I just wasn't connected to other writers. when I came to the internet 6 years ago, I began finding outlets for my writing. I posted to listservs, I entered correspondence with writers, and more recently, I started a blog (several, actually) and a web site. I suppose it looks like vanity press to publish via one's own website, but to me it's no more so than the vanity of seeking the editorial okay (The Shifted Flower wants three of my poems!!!). I think my writing is worth reading, which is kind of like saying I think my life is worth living. I love printed books but the cost of producing them isn't within my realm currently. and how many publishers seek 300+ page mss from little known writers? I have an 800 page ms, my best work yet, just waiting to be seen. so I have begun (slowly) learning a bit about doing it myself online. popups sure are not an aesthetic choice, they are practical. if having popups allows me to have an online presence, I'll accept it. I think my blog proves that I think about other writers, and support their efforts. it is actually a breakthru for me to push my own work. matters like whether I am 'not good enough' or that I 'haven't played the game' aren't important at all. some small part of my work is available, and people can choose to read or not. it is like this for all of us. I've gone years and years without anyone reading my work, so I can get by without audience. but that's not to say I don't wish to have one. as I've already said, I'm doing the best I can.

No comments: