Saturday, May 28, 2005

Tim can't be referring to me because I am already on record that I don't like poetry. I don't quote poetry much because it doesn't have that utility for me. my critical element is basically nervy. poetry is not a thing beyond me. poetry is interpretive. it's not the rock on the ground, or the love in me, but the nerve endings dealing with those things. and sharing that. poetry is intrinsic to my confusion. cripes, now I am explaining what poetry is. my dislike for poetry stems from my difficulty with that confusion in which I find myself. I disliked poetry from the start, but my dislike doesn't account for my persistence with poetry. thus the rub, the interesting part. I like the attempt to remain within that confusion (which Keats articulates so well, go read Keats). over the years, I recognized an excitement in words that I read, and sometimes in words that I wrote, and that was poetry for me. over time, I came to identify places of excitement, like knowing where to find an interesting bird. these occasions are spontaneous, it seems, and unpredictable, but at least I could say here it is. or here it is. or here it is? it is not just a matter of tying flashing things together, like George Lucas and his Hollywood ilk do. I've read and I've written a certain amount of poetry as in poetry as in poetry as in what I think I mean. something keeps me going in both attempts. I can't explain better, and don't even wish to. don't nobody ask me the hard questions anymore.

No comments: