Monday, May 29, 2006

I was just cycling down towards an intersection when I saw a widdershins car pass thru the intersection, rockily drive onto the sidewalk at a brisk speed, and run over something before stopping. water gushed from under the car, I dunno if that meant the car hit a hydrant. as I witnessed it I wondered if the driver had fainted or otherwise become incapacited before the accident, but the driver, a young woman looked shocked but aware. a couple of guys who'd been on a bench nearby came rushing up. I turned and saw the driver, in a band outfit, and an older woman get out of the car. presumbably that was a student driver. she burst into tears and was hugged by the woman. I didn't know what I could do to help but saw up ahead a police car coming along. I pointed towards the accident, which from a distance didn't look like one. the police car stopped and I told him that there was an accident up ahead. even as I watched the scene unfold I wasn't sure it ws an accident. reckless, or careless, perhaps, driving onto the sidewalk like that (the street is wide enough to accomodate parallel parking). the abrupt stop (by brakes, I think) convinced me that it was untoward.

No comments: