Monday, May 24, 2004

more than 100 Word pages worth of Digital up. and a few scans. I will announce it soon to Poetics list, but that may be a waste of time. I infer slight curiosity on the list. the main point for those who post there, is what sort of personal arguments, or political hay, can be made. Cid Corman and Gil Ott had to die to enter the conversation, for instance, people don't talk a lot about poetry there. and seeing how short the shelf life of books is, it's really sad. we've seen it, the 1st rush of interest, then books lanquish. I'm sure a lot of poets are slogging their work, I mean they do readings and make their book available, but sales don't show. it's a potlatch society. witness the blogosphere, where you see a finely tuned give and take. if you self promote me I'll self promote you.... poetry isn't dead, but one must be hardened to the task, that the satisfactions are intensely personal and hidden. unless appearance on crush list is a satisfaction, and not just a smarmy lunge. Digital is writing I believe in, and that'll be good enough.

2 comments:

mairead said...

I was pretty chuffed (chuffed=flattered/happy) to appear fleetingly on the Crush List. Shows you how desperate I am. Determined as I am to say something, the only other thing I can say here is how happy Alan Dugan appeared to be with Truro and Provincetown fame, though he also pointed out that he had won all the prizes and could publish wherever he liked. Good luck with Digital.

Simple Theories said...

I was chuffed that Jack Kimball called my (other) blog one of the 3 most unusual. ah, my glory days. Dugan came to Franconia College when I was there lo these many, listened to our creative writing twaddle with respectful crankiness and, I'm thinking, pulled a beer from his briefcse.