Sunday, September 19, 2004

Barrett Watten announces a determination to post weekly, that's weekly, on poetics and LANGUAGE and all the vital issues here. that's a cool idea, bunker musings, foxhole considerations. it's on Silliman's blog, isn't it, in which Duncan says to upstart langpoistas, can't you just have fun? and Watten replies, this is our fun. I wonder at the tangibility of much of the discussion. the attempt to define boundaries in water. well, you can: with walls. BW betrays a historical sense that seems set in the future, circa right now. there's a right-sounding voice speaking here, busy cleaning up the present mess so that the future mess can have a home. I mean, there's something Bloomian (Harold) about this insistence on structuring. which I find mostly just corny. I seem to be ragging on Watten, but am interested in his project, and take what he says seriously if not agreeably. I don't pass over what he says. I just seem to be of a different world. and I guess that'll happen. when I look at my critical commentary, such as it is (and paltry, I know), I wonder how I can keep it all under one theory, aegis, whatever. I know what I have read, I know what has jittered my nerve, but to consume that into a basis looks like more project than AHB can manage. so seat of the pants rules pour moi, and scramble as I may.

No comments: