Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I almost wrote to Gary Sullivan (he invites it (not missives from me specifically) in the post I mention below), then realized that I got nothing weighty to say. still, I note the insularity of po world, which is just dumb ass. it's no rule that I know of, and I never signed the contract. Olson absorbed from a lot of disciplines, not just the poemic community. and furthermore he's writing letters to the newspapers urging locals to notice their local and its touch to the rest of the world. he wasn't exemplar of academic code world, however dense one might find his writings. you could list further examples (Allen Ginsberg and (then) Leroi Jones on the MERV GRIFFIN SHOW!!!). I'm a fine one to talk, with my dedication to introversion. but I haven't bit on the code hook. I write seriously about writing here, and am intentionally slangy and flippant in the process. that's the best I can do to offset the coding. I'm fighting my own insularity by doing this blog, rushing things into online exhibition, and such acts of 'publishing'. I never went thru the kind of education that Laura Carter often winces about which, for all its respectable rigours, often sounds like a mere restriction of the interesting part of the poet. blog space kinda invites an I'm okay/you're okay/they're outside the ball sensibility, for all the word community gets slung about. the boundaries set at least are leaky, which fact is worth celebrating. going back to my initial comments on Gary's comic, I liked the blurring of boundaries that I inferred in its pages. and the comic sellers I guess aren't too fussy on the boundaries either. I remember quite a while ago getting nervous about SPD's categories, as if they were thinking: we'll sell these books to gays, these to Asians, these to women. as if splintering the market would somehow increase sales. I think Ron Silliman's School of Q buggy just foments more of the mentality of restriction. he scourges the Qs for being coded, but his is a coded response. I mean: Jessica Grim begins the 21st century.

3 comments:

Tom Beckett said...

Allen,

I don't always enjoy Ron's SoQ rants either.

He himself will admit at times to the use of "strategic overstatement" and I think there's a lot of that going on. It sure does stir up a lot of energy though! He's got that dialectical thing going on.

But I part company, in a friendly way, with you on his blurb for Jessica Grim's book, _Locale_(Potes & Poets, 1995)--a book which I and Lyn Hejinian also blurbed. I don't see his line about her and the 21st century, which ended a paragraph, as coded at all. It's an exclamation point! And it is, I'm convinced, absolutely sincere.

Jessica's poems constitute an unique nexus of music, insight and speech that needs to be savoured to be believed. It's not fast food poetry. This work is unique, idiosyncratic, underappreciated, and fucking brilliant. I share Ron's enthusiasm and urge people to read her work.

Best wishes,
Tom

Simple Theories said...

I didn't mean my comment as a knock on Jessica's work. nor do I even doubt Ron's enthusiasm (nor yours either, Tom). but that statement he made depends on a definitive sensibility to which I don't feel attached. it's like defining the 20th century by Stein, or Pound, or who would you choose? it's like saying Americans invented democracy or some such. if Ron's blurb isn't coded, then it's weighted, and not just by taste (which is the part I do accept in a blurb. but of course, I was being smart-mouthed too and I appreciate the resource of enthusiastic seriousness.

Tom Beckett said...

OK. I hear you.