Sunday, May 14, 2006

Susan Howe blurbs for Mainstream: "Stuttering turns into syncopation in this edgily engaging collocation of accents, attitudes. occasions." that sounds right. a couple of poems already, "War Rhymes for Children" and "A Completed Portrait of Lee Greenwood" (yeah baby!!!) bring to my mind John Giorno's persistent, jerky rap. there's a Giorno poem in which he twines a bit of narrative with the words from a Doublemint Commercial (I think). memory's strained but the commercial's zinging, peppy words intruding on the narrative produced a weirdly dirty context. and Giorno's repetitions create an ominous fixation. I get a similar buzz from Magee here. you know how there's supposedly safety in pop culture, that Britney and Idol are all surface? the sort of attack Magee makes recognizes that Wolfkowitz and Negroponte are behind and underneath such havens. whoop! anywho... I'm just popping a few impressions out. I've been reading The Thorn by David Larsen (which you should buy from Faux Press, do) quite regularly, a bit almost daily. it grows and grows on me. I say that to suggest that poem books, good ones anyway, don't get done.

No comments: