Monday, May 15, 2006

trying to follow along with Shanna Compton's rumination on process. I say follow along as I was trying to stick with the metaphor, which is to say, hold 2 things in mind at once. it's an evolved ability, isn't it? enough people think: flarf bad, liberal bad, etc, all simple and clear cut. she makes a useful consideration, I'm not down on that. I was struck by the realization that metaphors have to break down. at some point heart and love diverge, you can't make them be the same thing. as I read Shanna's thoughts I found myself waiting for when the sewing metaphor wouldn't fit the poetry process model she had. the brilliance of a metaphor is how long you can keep it in the air, which Shanna did pretty good. Donne's almost tortured in his relentless hold on his metaphor, it's exciting to watch him stay its course. some helpful pondering in Shanna's post. metaphors are good for turning a thing around for a diffrent angle.

No comments: