Monday, September 11, 2006

a crisp bright autumn day today and as I recall not unlike 5 years ago. I don't wish to dive into that brew again--and brew is a good word, the yeasty activity that still bubbles--but I looked up this morn whilst walking the dog to see a plane flying casually, as they are wont to do. we still live close to an airfield (formerly an Airforce base, now mainly commercial), and in the flight path of Logan flights, so planes in the sky are common to the point fo constant. but 5 years ago, snap, the sky was quiet. and the silence could really be felt. I couldn't, then, help obsessing on the claustrophic fear of anyone in those planes, the same fear I feel when watching the dismal scenes in Perfect Storm and Titanic. the night of the 11th or 12th was loud with the thunder of jet fighters mobilizing. which brought a more dismal claustrophobia: this means war. and then the talking heads.

No comments: