Thursday, September 14, 2006

yet another great interview by Tom Beckett, this time with Jack Kimball (my dancing fingers were about to type of not with, but that didn't accurately portray Tom's paricipation). I liked hearing about the false start Jack made with Post~Twyla. a big idea, then the big idea changes into some other idea, etc: follow if you can. what particularly caught me, tho, were a few mentions of John Wieners. I am apparently the only Boston-area poet who never met or even saw John Wieners, but I have the picture of a sweet and devastated person, not t sound liek Hollywood meets poetry. I quote Jack for 2 sentences:

"At trench level I'll bitch-slap with the gangliest, I'm imagining, but a poetic model, John Wieners, keeps reminding me of self-restraint, to avoid haters -- there are only a few of those -- and maintain a comfortable distance from the hesitant or half-hangers-on. I watched John ratchet up his courtly dizziness when faced with awkward social choices, and although my strategies are different, his manners instruct me to prepare well for love and its absence. (I hate this.)"

stupidly, Wieners is a poet I came to late--the canon is an indefinite road dependent on chance-engendered opportunities--and more remains for me to read. anything, kudos to Tom and Jack.

footnote: were Hollywood on its toes, some nifty biopics could be made with the life elements of, it has occurred to me, Keats, Dickinson, Stein, John Clare, etc. Wieners for sure. but why do I even bring this up?????

1 comment:

Tom Beckett said...

Thanks for the kudos, Allen. Jack is a wonder.

Why I'm visiting though has to do with your bio pic idea.

I've long thought, and this is touched on in the interview in my new book, that Marcel Duchamp and Gertrude Stein probably got it on. (They were always smirking.) And that's what drove Alice to the brownies.

It would make a great Lifetime Orignial.

Don't even get me started on casting possibilities.

Cheers.